Friday, June 13, 2008

New Toy

I have ventured into the world of the Mac.  I broke down and purchased a MacBook Pro and so far, so good.  My previous laptop was a Sony Vio with a 17 inch monitor.  I got it least 5 years ago.  It was a great computer in its day and still a decent computer.  However, I pick up the MacBook and it is so much lighter than the "lead weight" of the Sony.

I got it home and the thing was pretty much ready to go.  But...  I had some difficulty using my wireless network to get on the Internet.  After some trial and errors and some research, I finally deduced that my old 5 or 6 year old Linksys router just did not work with newer technology.  So it was back to the store to pick up what Apple calls "Time Capsule."  It's basically a wireless-n router with a 500GB hard drive for backups... and they claim it's compatible with PCs.  We will see.

So tonight, after some minor difficulties, have been setting up the Time Capsule and the MacBook.  I cannot believe how much faster the Internet has been running using the new Apple router/Time Capsule.  Much faster than that old Linksys wireless-g router.  There's a couple of different quirkly little things I'm trying to get used to on the MacBook, but so far, I'm really liking it.

Next week, Beth and I plan to travel the section of Route 66 we have not been on, so I will have the MacBook with me to travelblog.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How is the Apple router/time capsule working with your PC based laptop? You recommend it for non Apple computers?