Several blogs that I regularly read, or used to read, have become more inactive or just completely dead. A number of my friends in the Jaycees had blogs. None of them write for them anymore it seems. Other local blogs appear to be waning as well.
I wonder if blogs were just a fad that lasted a few years, or is it other social networking sites such as Facebook and Twitter slowly taking bloggers out of action. I'm on Facebook regularly. And the thing with Facebook is you can leave brief comments on any of your friends or your profile. Others can respond as well to your comments. And so the same can happen on blogs.
But Facebook I think is set up in a way that makes it more entertaining and convenient. You can write some short one-liner as opposed to preparing a manifesto on a blog. The same can be said about Twitter. Though I don't have a Twitter account, I just don't get the fascination of Twitter. At least Facebook allows you to post pictures and videos as well as a few other things. Twitter just allows you 140 characters of text. What can you actually say with that?
And how about MySpace? Does anyone use it still? I have always thought that it was easier to use than Facebook, but Facebook offered some different features that MySpace didn't. MySpace does now, but its probably too late and perhaps the damage is done. MySpace lasted about a year or so in popularity and now its done. Very fickle users.
I don't know if readers of blogs have declined any over time. I still wonder if blogs are facing the same problem with MySpace. Knowing society today and its short attention span, I also suspect that Twitter and Facebook too will suffer a demise such as MySpace.
1 comment:
I haven't checked blogs in a long time because of the fact that it seems hardly anyone updates them any more! Then today on facebook, a friend said she is making a resolution to update her blog three times a week, pretty ambitious considering she hadn't updated it in over a year. So anyhoo, I decided to check for other updates and there were a couple. But just like it used to be.
Hope you have a happy new year!
Post a Comment