Friday, December 01, 2006

Snow Day!

We got more snow in the last 24 hours than what we've had in the last 2 years. According to WEEK TV 25, North Peoria had about 12.5 inches. We normally don't get snow like this... at least not since those winters back in the 70's. And this storm couldn't have hit at a more inconvenient time.

Since we hardly have had any snow in the last 2 years, I haven't used my snowblower during that time. I tried starting is last Spring and it would start, but would not stay running. I planned to have it tuned up this Fall. About a week ago, I called to get an appointment and they said to bring it in whenever I like. It's been in the mid-60s for the last half of November and I figured I had plenty of time. On Wednesday, they were predicting 6-12 inches of snow for Friday. Yeah, I've heard this story way too many times before... and all we end up with is a dusting. I was wrong this time.

Beth's sisters Kerri and Pam were due to come into town this weekend to Christmas shop. So Beth felt it important to get our driveway cleaned. And shovelling was not going to work. We decided to brave the elements and drive into town to get her parents snowblower, not to mention clean their driveway before they give themselves a heart attack.

It took 3 attempts to get up the driveway with the Ford F-150 4x4. We then realized just how hard we were hit. Knoxville Ave in north Peoria was only 1 lane and looked like there hadn't been one snow plow to take care of it. We saw at least 15 cars in the ditch and abandoned. Peoria looked like a ghost town... almost everything was closed. Even McDonald's was closed. We got to Beth's parents and found that the roads in their subdivision was not even plowed yet. It looked like only one truck had already been through.

We cleaned up their driveway, made off with their snowblower and then helped a gentleman dig out his truck on University St. Once home, we cleaned off our driveway with the help of our neighbor Paul, who has a Honda 4 wheeler with a blade.

Gotta love a good snow day!

No comments: