
After last minute packing and securing the house, we backed out of the garage at 8:25am. Our first stop; the SuperPantry to fill up with fuel. I forgot about that last night, but we're in no hurry. While at the SuperPantry, we encountered our first oddity and only in the first 10 minutes of our trip. Beth watched the store attendant wave furiously and act a bit silly through the store window. She didn't know if he was waving at us or not, but we realized that this comedian wanna-be was waving at someone else.
Next stop, Hardee's. I can't get going until I get a good couple of bacon egg and cheese biscuits and a large Diet Coke. It was about 9:15am when we actually got on our way.
We got onto Rt. 66 at Elkhart from I-55. Travel was pretty smooth until Springfield, IL, where it was difficult to tell where 66 actually went. Eventually, you have to get back onto 55 and pick 66 up further south at Chatham. Of course, once we got back onto 55, we hit backed up traffic for several miles. Gridlock!!!!!
Most of 66 in this area are those side, frontage roads you see along side 55. The rest of IL went smoothly. We went around St. Louis via I-270 and then picked up I-44. Most of Missouri was complete, though we'd get lost at times and Rt 66 is not marked well in areas. Rt 66 anymore has become state or county roads or frontage roads. But much of it so far has been clear of traffic and in good shape.
There hasn't been a lot of roadside oddities and interest yet. At St. Robert, MO, there was an adult center like that of some of those "trading posts" you see that sell fireworks, moccasins, etc. This place had exotic dancing, bookstore, novelties and liquor. Then next to that was a lookout point that overlooked the Missouri Ozarks. We're gettin' our kicks on Rt 66 here!
I've been pleased with the car so far in the trip. The fuel mileage is incredible. Before Springfield, IL, we hit a high of 28.9 mpg!
Well, until tomorrow when the odyssey continues.
Stats:
Miles Travelled, Today: 447
Miles Travelled, Total: 447
Today's Driving Time: 12 hours
Today's Avg MPH: 37.25
Fuel Mileage: 28.3 mpg
Today's Turnaround Times: 6
2 comments:
Are you crazy, it only took me 10 hours to fly to Rockford, Sidney NE and visit Cabelas and then to the western side of CO to Montrose. If route 66 goes anywhere near Montrose, CO I recomend going to Black Cayon, it is the coolest Cayon I have ever seen, be sure to go down to the East Portal, it is a 16% grade. You could probably sky it in the winter.
Dennis OUT....
Canyon was misspelled, and so was recommend. Its late and flying the airlines sucks, we had to bribe a college kid for $50 bucks to give up his seat so that I could get on the plane to Rockford.
Dennis OUT.
Post a Comment