Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Route 66: Day Ten - Santa Monica

While we are no long travelling historic Route 66, we still refer to this trip as our Route 66 trip. Now into Day Ten, today we never once got into any vehicle.

We slept in today until about 8:30am. After breakfast we headed out for a long walk up the beach to Muscle and Venice Beaches. As us Midwest people say, we are in the land of fruits and nuts. It was still fairly early for all the street artists and performers to populate Venice Beach, but we still had plenty of people watching opportunities.

We spotted a film crew following a couple of young women. I paid most attention on the first girl, a tall blonde who somewhat resembled Paris Hilton. As they went past us, Beth thought the other girl was Kelly Osborne, daughter of Ozzy Osborne. So we thought it was some other reality show. We also witnessed staff people with clip boards getting people who were filmed to sign waivers and disclaimers.

A little further up the way, we saw another film crew, this time filming some guy in a tie dyed shirt and some kind of hot dog hat. He was talking to the passerby and offering sausage samples. He was working with a food outlet there, named Joni's Sausage Kingdom, or something like that. I overheard someone with the film crew answering someone's question about whether Kelly Osborne was involved. He vaguely answered him say she was, but not directly. Huh? We then witnessed the two women bicycling back and forth and noticed that they were not really who they appeared to be.

We did get to sample some sausage... it wasn't bad. And we finally deduced that this was some kind of promotion or TV commercial being filmed for this food outlet, using some celebrity look alikes.

After lunch, we headed back to the room and did some laundry. I was on my absolute last day of underwear. And then it was nap time. After I awoke, I noticed I got some more sun today... the farmer tan is stronger than ever.

For dinner, we walked a couple of blocks into town to an open air type mall/shopping area. We ate at an establishment called Yankee Doodles, which was a sports bar. It had large pane glass so that you can look out at passerbys and do more people watching. I'm not a big people watcher, but I am good at making some sharp observations. Here's a couple.

I noticed a large number of women wearing straight leg pants/jeans. To that I say, "Thank God." It's time to move on from those awful bell bottom and flaired pants. It was bad in the 70's and equally bad in the 90's and 00's. Of course, by the time this trend gets to Peoria, it will be over with everywhere else.

The most unusual observation I made was a couple of mid-Eastern decent/beliefs, with the women completely shrouded in sheets/clothing/robes... whatever you call that stuff they cover themselves up with. It is their belief that women should be covered and not be seen. But the interesting thing was she was carrying with her a Victoria's Secret bag. What is she wearing under that getup?

For tomorrow, we plan to drive up the coast until Santa Maria and visit some friends. We'll keep you posted.

Stats:
Miles travelled, today: by auto... 0, by foot... maybe 4
Miles travelled, total: 2,563
Today's sunblock factor: 0

No comments: