Sunday, May 27, 2007

Route 66: Day Seven



What a day. We started off by getting up early (5:30am local time/6:30 mountain time) after staying at the Wigwam Village… have you slept in a wigwam? We stayed at Wigwam #15 and it was a bit cozy. There was no phone, no Internet and no clock. But did have air conditioning and cable TV… up to 13 channels. The owner of the establishment, who was an extremely nice individual, was quite proud of the place. His father had started the Wigwam Village in 1950 and he was keeping up the tradition.

Beth at one point last night stopped into the main office to ask a few questions regarding area codes in the state of Arizona. The gentlemen even place some long distance calls for her on his own dime. At the time, a couple of guys came into the office asking if there was availability that night. Unfortunately not. The owner then stated “I wish my dad had built more of these,” insinuating that lodging there must be in high demand.

At 7:40am (mountain time) we said farewell to the Wigwam Village and started to head west on I-40 towards Flagstaff and the Grand Canyon. Most of Rt 66 does not really exist along this stretch of highway, so it was easier taking I-40. We made a quick stop to look at the “twin arrows,” a stopping point along 66 which is now defunct. Once we got near Flagstaff, we were able to get back onto 66, which was a very nice stretch of road. We stopped at Miz Zip’s Café, which offered one of the better breakfasts I’ve had this whole trip. Flagstaff looked to be a really nice town.

We eventually started to head northward towards the Grand Canyon. This is a sight that must be seen in anyone’s lifetime. After a lengthy drive, and a good walk up to the rim, you finally see the canyon and it just hit you! You just say “WOW!”

We walked around the rim for quite a bit and saw many views of the canyon, but little of the Colorado River. We rode back on one of the shuttle buses, which the driver claimed that it is about 20 degrees hotter at the bottom of the canyon than were we were on top. The weather was actually quite pleasant; sunny, warm but plenty of cool breezes.

At many of the locations around here, they try to discourage you from feeding the animals. I noticed a few crows and squirrels that were panhandling for food. One couple, who met up with a squirrel sort of ran away from it, slightly in fear. I claimed not to worry that it would not harm them; they weren’t so sure. Obviously big-city-folk who’ve never seen a squirrel. Once they ran to safety, they got their camera and took pictures of the dangerous varmint.

Then I got to witness the speaker bring the word of Jesus. He went on and on about how we will all someday die, and how will we meet our maker and are we following the ten commandments and so on. Other people started listening to him at first, but slowly walked away. But soon a park ranger came up saying, “Sir! Sir!” attempting to shut him down. The speaker stopped. I then heard him mention something like “freedom of speech.” I thought, “Oh boy, here we go!”

He started to go on and shortly thereafter, the park ranger interjected. The speaker stopped and said thank you. The audience applauded, but I don’t know if the applauded the speaker or the ranger.

If you decide to come out, plan to spend a couple of day because there’s plenty to see. I noticed some people who packed a lunch to eat while watching the scenery.

We liked the place so much we wanted to stay at the hotel which is on the premises. However they were booked. Instead we drove out of the park and are now camped out at the Grand Hotel just south of the Grand Canyon. We had a quick dinner at the hotel saloon with a few Blue Moon beers (they didn’t have Heineken) and rum and cokes… and safe to say, we’re drunk. You should have heard the coyboy banjo player with the earing. But this place is very rustic like someplace you’d find at Jackson Hole.

The game plan for the rest of the trip is that we will get on our way tomorrow back on Rt 66 and expect to come into Santa Monica, CA by Tuesday. We’ll spend Wednesday there and on Thursday head to Santa Maria to visit Tom and Kim Stevens. Friday morning we’ll finally head home.

Lastly, our farmer tans are coming in just nicely.

Stats: (corrected - I didn't compile the 8 miles from the canyon to the hotel)
Miles Travelled, Today: 194 (was 186)
Miles Travelled, Total: 1985 (was 1,977)
Today’s Avg Speed: 35.1
Today’s Fuel Mileage: 29.8
Encounter with Wildlife: 6 (elk west of Flagstaff; CA condor & 4 elk at Grand Canyon)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mother stayed at the Grand Hotel when she was travelling to Arizona for her father's funeral back in the 80's. She had brought our German Shepherd along for the ride and they let her stay there with the dog. She has always raved about what a great place it was. I'd kind of forgotten that story until you mentioned in here - thanks!

Chris K

rlojr said...

I didn't realize it was there that long as it looked to be a newer hotel. It was a very nice hotel in a good location. I'm sure it's been built up since the 80's.