Our adventure on historic Route 66 and ensuing travel had come to an end shortly after 3:30pm this afternoon when we finally arrived home. And it was cicadas who welcomed us back after their 17-year absence.
We started to leave Topeka, KS at 7:40am and the rest of the trip was mainly uneventful. We travelled along I-70 through Kansas City until Kingdom City, MO where we turned off on East US 54. I know this road very well as I have taken it many times when visiting relatives.
After we stopped in Pittsfield, IL for some lunch, we put the top down for the first time in a few days for the remainder of the way home.
Though I may from time to time complain about Peoria and the state of Illinois, it is always good to get back home... especially after almost 2 and a half weeks of living out of a suitcase and different hotels, not to mention eating in restaurants every night. And finally, not to be in a car for several hours each day. My car is very nice, but I think this is going to be the last "long" road trip for it. For long road trips, it really needs a little more leg room and storage. But fuel mileage, you can't beat it. We filled up in Topeka last night and I still have just under a quarter tank left here in Dunlap.
It has been a unique adventure this past 16 days. After I roughly tallied up our expenses, I thought "Wow, we could have went somewhere really nice." But we couldn't have stayed as long or have seen as much or have had the experiences we had from getting our kicks on Route 66.
I want to thank everyone who visited this blog to somewhat live vicariously through us as we made our trek across the USA.
Final Stats:
Miles Travelled, today: 438 miles
Miles Travelled, total trip: 4,866 miles
Today's travel time: 8 hrs
Travel time, total trip: 122.3 hrs
Today's avg speed: 54.75 mph
Today's fuel mileage: 31.1 mpg
Fuel Mileage, total trip: 29.9 mpg
Number of States Travelled: 11 (IL, MO, KS, OK, TX, NM, AZ, CA, NV, UT, CO)
Number of Digital Pictures taken: 484 (not including pictures taken w/ film)
Reg Unleaded Gas Price/Gallon, High: $3.99 (Needles, CA... the desert)
Reg Unleaded Gas Price/Gallon, Low: $2.89 (today, western Missouri)
Gasoline Expense, Entire Trip: $628.86
Lodging Expense, Entire Trip: $2,075.59 (or about $129 per night)
Meals, Booze, Shopping, Misc (est): $1,300 (yikes!)
Vacation & Memories of a Lifetime: Priceless... it pays to Discover!
Tuesday, June 05, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Thanks, Rick, for the travelogue. It was a fun and interesting read.
So based on your last statement, was this trip financed by Master Card, Discover Card, or both? Glad you guys had a fun safe trip.
Thanks for sharing your trip with the rest of us! Glad you are back safe and sound! Can't wait to see your vacation slide show. :)
Thanks Rick!
I would have commented more but the word verification thingy wasn't working.
Glad you guys are back safe and sound!
Post a Comment