Thursday, May 13, 2021

Utah-Nevada-California-Oregon (Day 6)

 Thursday, May 13, 2021

Kind of a repeat from yesterday.  Get up and head into the Sequoia National Park.  See what's there.  There were 2 or 3 things worth looking at that we didn't get to yesterday.  So today is the day.

I'm on a half tank of fuel entering the Park.  According to my trip computer, I can go 150 miles until empty.  There should be plenty of fuel for us.  After several miles and about 4,000 ft in elevation, my trip computer says I have 98 miles until empty.  We still have several miles yet to drive.

On the other side of the Park, there is a fuel station.  I'm thinking we're probably ok with the fuel we have, but instead, we decide to travel to the other side to fill up.  At least this way, we'll see more of the Park & Forest and one less thing to worry about.

Standing at the base of a Sequoia that fell in 1917

So we drive straight through to the fueling station... a self serve... I mean there's no clerk or office.  There is a restaurant and gift shop, but no real service station HQ if you know what I mean.  I put my Discover card in and start pumping.  It stops at $50 of fuel that has been pumped.  I'm just a tad away from being fully fueled.  I don't bother to pump any more, especially at $4.29/gallon for Premium unleaded (and I feel I got a bargain because in Three Rivers, they charge $4.59/gallon for the same stuff).

Now fully fueled, we head back to the other side of the Park to see oddities such as the Tharp's Log (a cabin some guy built from a Sequoia tree trunk and lived in for 30 years), the Chimney Tree, the Tunnel Log where you can drive your car through and the Hospital Rock where Indians cared for the wounded.  

One other item of note as we hiked through the Sequoia forest was that we found some speculation as to how these trees became so big.  It was really weird.  At one spot, I saw this really weird, bubbling white goop coming out of the ground.  This mosquito landed on it and drank some of it.  Within seconds, it grew to almost 5 feet in length and then flew off.  It flew above us and then landed on some other guy's back.  With what looked like a 2 foot sword, it began to bite him, and in the process, literally sucked all the blood out of him.  It flew off, leaving this guy dead and drained of blood.  It was like the goop this mosquito drank made it grow to gigantic proportions.  This stuff was like some kind of Food of the Gods.  And maybe that's how these trees became so big.

But after all that, we stopped at the Three Rivers Brewery for a third attempt for a drink.  Low and behold, they were open!  I guess the third time is the charm.  And we found a parking space across the road (perhaps a legal parking space).  I ordered an "Oliver" which was to be some type of blonde ale; Buffy had a stout which was a good 6% abv.  We tried to plan out some of the rest of our trip during this time, but either the indecision or alcohol prevented such.  After 3 drinks each, we decided to head back to the RV.

Our only plans at this point is to head to northern California tomorrow and perhaps stop at the Avenue of the Giants. This is another place with giant trees and the location to where they filmed Star Wars Return of the Jedi.

Before signing off for the day, just a tidbit of info... it came to my attention this morning that we are Day 6 into this journey and we have yet to even stop at a McDonalds.  This has to be some sort of record.

  • Miles Travelled: I quit keeping track
  • Highest Gas Prices Found: $4.59/gallon of premium unleaded/$4.29/gallon diesel

No comments: