Sunday, May 16, 2021

Utah-Nevada-California-Oregon (Day 8)

 Saturday, May 15, 2021

Once we were packed up and left the Comfort Suites, our first stop was at the local Post Office.  I received an e-mail from my tax accountant how much I owed the government for 2020.  So that morning I wrote out the check and needed to mail it.  I didn't really trust the hotel staff to do this for me.  I've had a history of mail that did not make it out of the hotel.

And since the IRS won't wait for me to finish my vacation as they want their money now, LET IT BE KNOWN THAT I MAILED MY 2020 TAX PAYMENT FROM WOODLAND, CA POST OFFICE THE MORING OF SATURDAY, MAY 15, 2021.  This particular post office was not open on Saturday mornings.  So I dropped it into the box, but it looked like the next pick up would be on Monday, May 17 at 5pm.  As long as it gets postmarked May 17, I should be good.  Onward with the vacation.

Our second stop this morning, which was probably inevitable, was to McDonald's for breakfast.  Our first McDonald's stop thus far in the trip.

The drive today takes us north on I-5 for about 40 miles.  After a fuel stop there, we get on CA-20 to US-101.  Most of it was scenic.  Driving on I-5 is not much to talk about.  We're looking at about a 5 hour drive to get to our next destination, Avenue of the Giants.

This is a street/road/highway that takes you inside a redwood forest.  This was a really cool drive into our next campground.

Mishap of the Day:  When trying to find the campground, our Google Maps had us turn much sooner than we should have.  I suspect that since we went out of cellular service, the phone did not know exactly where we were.  I stopped short on the road and pulled into this turnout.  A sign said 'No Outlet' and things didn't sound or look right.  I tried to turn around from the turnout, but unfortunately, there was not enough room.  And flat towing a Jeep does not allow you to back up.  Yikes, I was stuck blocking both lanes of traffic.

These roads were not heavily travelled, but I still scrambled to unhitch the Jeep and then have Buffy drive it up the road to this town we had just went through.  My thought was that if we just travelled onward we would find the campground.  Which was the case.


We found the campground and got the RV all set for the night.  Then we got into the Jeep and headed into town to look at the redwoods some more and get dinner.  When we came back, we started up a fire, enjoyed a few beverages and then some and shared some s'mores with our camping neighbors; a family also from Colorado.  Good times.

While we were very happy with this campground, there was no cellular service or quality internet.  So this blog post needed to wait another 24 hours to post.

We're not quite sure where to stay tomorrow.  Thinking Crescent City, CA which sits on the coast.  But the plan is to check out redwoods at the Lady Bird Johnson Grove in the Redwood National Forest.

  • Miles Travelled: 246
  • Number of Cars I Blocked Trying To Turn Around: 1   

No comments: