Monday, May 17, 2021

Utah-Nevada-California-Oregon (Day 10)

 Monday, May 17, 2021

Another day of just being on the road.  It was a good drive.  There were patches of road where we drove along the Pacific Coast.  Then the road would turn inland and we'd drive through forest.  But it was just driving today, so we don't have any pictures, video or any real quirky stories but maybe one.

One thought I did have that reoccurred during the drive... where do these other campers stop to get fuel?  As we drove, we come across countless other RVs, trailers and 5th wheels.  Yet when I pass by whatever gas station I see, they are small, congested, corner stations with little maneuvering room.  How do these vehicles get in and out of these gas stations?  Let alone where do the semi trucks go to re-fuel?  And some of these stations don't even sell diesel.  What's the deal?

For much of our drive, I was behind a 5th wheel and at one time, that 5th wheel and another truck.  They were moving slow; maybe 45-50 mph.  This helped my fuel milage today.  I topped out at 14 mpg, which I think was great considering I'm towing a 3k lb Jeep.

We stopped in Depoe Bay, OR for fuel.  And this was weird.  Some guy appears to be hanging out by the gas pumps.  There was a small, white pickup truck in front of us.  The driver hands this guy and number of bills and he proceeds to pump gas for these people.  I see no indication that this guy works for the gas station.  They finish up and now I pull up to the pump.  This guy is ready to assist.  I ask if this is a full service station and he kind of laughed.  I mentioned I hadn't seen a full service station in 45 years.  I didn't really understand his broken English, and I'm generous calling it that.  I tell him I need to fill up with diesel.  I hand him my credit card, somewhat wary of doing so.  He runs the card through the pump and starts filling up.

While the tank is filling up, I grab a couple of dollars to provide him a tip, because I'm sure that all he's working for.  I handed him the cash but I'm not sure if I got my money's worth as he didn't bother to check the oil or clean the windshield. But off to our next campground.  Tonight, it is another site close to the coast.  

The Premier RV Resort in Lincoln City, OR.  A very nice spot for RV camping, with exception to the weather.  Right now it is windy and rainy.  And cold.  It's been mid-50's all day, but I could use my Carhart coat.  Anyways...

Mishap of the Day: Again, these mishaps seem to occur first thing in the day.  And file this into the gross category.  We are packing up getting ready to leave.  I go through the routine to clean out the sewer hose for our sewer.  I finish up and then pack away the water hose.  I then get the sewer hose and notice a bunch of leaves and dirt on the end of it.  I try to shake them off, only to see a bunch of crap fly off to the ground.  

The sewer hose wasn't as clean as I thought.  I unpack the water hose to hose it down.  But what do I do with the mess I left on the ground.  Fortunately, we still had poop bags with us when we had dogs.  But as before, fortune seems to favor the foolish.  If I didn't try to shake off those leaves, I would have packed the shit filled hose in the RV.  That would have not been good.  So we got lucky on this one.  This must be what happens when RVing.

  • Miles Travelled: 192


No comments: